I love the holiday season. It is a great way to end the year, by hanging with friends and spending time with family. This year, to help decorate for the holidays, we got a Christmas tree. I haven’t really looked, but it is taller than me, so that means it is at least 6 foot tall. We ended up decorating it with childhood ornaments and perler bead creations. Right now our tree is filled with ornaments mainly of one of my favorite games, Pokemon. But I wanted to add so variety, so I created some stars inspired by Mario!
What I Needed:
- Acrylic paint (White, yellow, black)
- Styrofoam stars
- Water cup
What I Did:
- First things first, I pulled up a reference to how the stars looked.
- I painted a base layer of white on the stars, and let it dry for about an hour.
- Then I put about 3-4 layers of yellow on the stars, and let the paint dry for about an hour between each layer.
- Then I painted on the eyes, which was probably the most difficult part of this project. I outlined it with white so that I could easily cover my mistakes by painting over it with yellow. Then I painted the black on.
- Paint a tip of white on the black eyes, and let it dry.
- Apply at least a layer of varnish to let it dry, and ta-da!
What I learned:
- Prepping for mistakes is very handy. Because you’re prepared for it, you can make it look better in the end.
- If I was to use Styrofoam again, I might paper-mache it before I start painting, just to see if the texture is better.
I hope this helps to inspire you with your holiday decorating! Hope y’all have a great rest of the week! 😀